The Palaces in the Old Town was mainly built during the 17:th century when Sweden was a great European power for about 100 years. During that time great fortunes where made and part of those fortunes where spent on building palaces in Stockholm. Below you can find information about each of them. In the historic part of the Web Site there are much more information about the Palaces with a focuse on the historic side.
1 - The Tessin Palace
The Palace is built in roman barogue style by Nicodemus Tessin in 1697, until 1755 it was owned by the Family Tessin but then King Adolf Fredrik bought it on behalf of his son Karl (King Karl XIII). In 1773 the Palace is sold again and this time the buyer is the City Council and it will be used by the Over-Governor as his private residence..
The Over-Governor of Stockholm was the highest officer in the public administration of the City between 1634 - 1967. In 1967 the office was disbanded and replaced by the office of the County Governor which exisits today and continues to use the Palace as his/hers Private Residence.
The address is: Slottsbacken 4
2 - The Boneau Palace
The merchantman Honoré Boneau had this Palace built in 1675, however allready in 1698 he sold the Palace to the Funck family and the Palace was renamed the Funck Palace. They didn't own it for long and very soon sold it to the Bååth family and again the Palace was renamed, this time to the Bååth Palace. The last name can be confusing since there is a Bååth Palace at Blasieholmen in Stockholm as well, but now you know its not the same Palace.
In 1780 the Palace is bought by the Shoemaker guild to be used as their secretariat. They also added one floor to the Palace which is very visible if you look at the Palace from the front. The top floor has distinct separation from the two floors beneath. A part of the Palace was also rented to the Over-Governor office. In the 1906 the City Council bought the Palace to be used for the Over-Governor office that had expanded and needed more space.
Today is most of the Palace used by the Royal Coin Cabinet
The address is: Slottsbacken 6
3 - The Fleming Palace
The Palace was built in 1650 by the State Councilor Erik Fleming and was designed by Jean de la Vallée in a pilatster architectural style that was popular in the late 17:th century. The Palace is built in bricks and is 4 storeys high with the top floor as a attic floor (a attic floor has lower ceiling that an ordianry floor and is the top floor beneath the buildings roof).
In 1863 the Palace is bought by the wholesaler Frans Theodor Berling but only a few years later, in 1891, the house is again sold and this time to the Swedish Royal Telegraph retirement foundation. During 1957-1659 the Palace was undergoing a major renovation, both inside and outside. Today the Palace is owned by a real estate company and is used for offices.
The address is: Slottsbacken 8
4 - The Gyllenhielm Palace
In 1627 the Palace is built by Carl Carlsson Gyllenhielm, he was half brother to King Gustav II Adolf and hold a number of high offices in the state administration. In the 14:th century this was the location for the Dominican Convent and their church. The Convent was demolished in 1547 by King Gustav Vasa during the Swedish reformation but beneath the Palace you can still visit the old vaults from the Convent. In 1878 the Palace is rebuilt in todays more modern style.
The address is: Tyska stallplan
5 - The Piper Palace
The Piper Palace was built by Carl Piper in 1692 and designed by Nicodemus Tessin. In the 18:th century the Palace was renovated after it has been purchased by Gustaf Kierman. Kierman was however soon forced to sell the Palace since he where involved in a scandal and sentenced life in jail, where he died in 1766.
In the 20:th century the Palace is bought by Stockholm bishopric, that uses the Palace as its secretariat. Today this is the office of the Bishop of Stockholm.
The address is: Munkbrogatan 2
6 - The Sparre Palace
The Palace was built in 1635 by the State Councilor Per Sparre and is today connected to the Cruus Palace.
The Palace was designed by Nicodemus Tessin in a late renaisssance style. In 1763 the Palace was bought by the Medical Professor David von Schultzenheim. He was a specialist in child deliveries and in the ground floor of the Palace he started the first General maternity hospital with 10 beds. Today the Palace is used by the Administrative Court of Appeal.
The address is: Birger Jarls torg 11
7 - The Cruus Palace
The Cruus Palace was built in 1635 by Karl Bonde. After his death the Palace was inherited by his wife, Elsa Cruus, who also gave the Palace its name In the great fire 1802 the Palace burned to the ground but was reuilt again in a neoclassical style. The new Palace was desinged by Fredrik Blom and a bit more narrow than the old Palace to make room for the street Wrangelska Backen. Today the Palace is used by the Administrative Court of Appeal as also uses the Sparre Palace next door.
The address is: Briger Jarls torg 13.
8 - The Wrangel Palace
In 1629 the Palace is built by the State Councilor Lars Sparre, the south tower of the Palace is however older than the Place itself and is a part of the defence wall built by King Gustav Vasa in 1530.
In 1660 the Palace is bought and rebuilt by Carl Gustav Wrangel who has recieved it as a gift from Queen Kristina for services to the state. The Palace became the largest private Palace in Stockholm and was designed by Nicodemus Tessin and Jean de la Vallée.
In 1693 a large part of the Palace was destroyed in a fire and the Wrangel Family could no longer support it, even less to rebuilt it and they sold it back to the Royal Family. In 1997 the old Royal Palace "Tre Kronor" was destroyd in a fire and the Royal Family eventually moved in to the Wrangel Palace, where they would staty until 1754 when the new Royal Palace was finnished. During the period that the Royal Family stayed in the Palace it was named "Kungshuset" (The Kings House).
Since 1756 the house is used by the Civil & Criminal Court of Appeal.
The address is: Birger Jarls torg 16
9 - The Schering Rosenhane Palace
In 1656 the Palace was ready to move in to for the State Councilor and Over-Governor Schering Rosenhane. It was designed by Nicodemus Tessin in a classicism style and was very admired at its time as one of the most beutiful buildings in the city. The Palace was built on top of Rogberget (The Rog Hill) which was and still is the highest point of Riddarholmen. In the medival times there was a windmill here used by the Franciscan Convent at the island.
In 1697, after the Royal Palace fire, the National Archive is moving into the Palace and stays there until 1783 when it is bought by the Fremaisons. During the Fremaisons time in the Palace botht the wings where added in 1801 and 1855.
In 1875 the City Council buys the Palace from the Fremaisons and until 1970 the War College, the General Staff and the War Archive used the Palace. Today the Palace is the home of the Civil & Criminal Court of Appeal
The address is: Birger Jarls torg 10
10 - The Stenbock Palace
The Palace is built in 1640 by Fredrik Stenbock. Originally it was built in a renaissance style but was later rebult in 1670 by Johan Gabriel Stenbock (son of Fredrik Stenbock) and now in a roman baroque style desinged by Nicodemus Tessin.
In 1773 the Palace was bought by the State and was used by the officials of National Archive, in 1865 the Palace was connected to the National Archive building next door. Today the Palace is used by the Supreme Administrative Court
The address is: Birger Jarls torg 4
11 - The Hessenstein Palace
The Hessenstein Palace was built in 1630 by the State Councilor Bengt Bengtsson Oxenstierna and is designed by Nicodemus Tessin in a Dutch renaissance style.
Bengt Gabrielsson Oxenstierna bought the Palace in 1670 by his relative and used it as his private residence for his family. According to the records he needed the space since he had 18 children. In 1680 he rebuilt it to the original style and the architect was Nicodemus Tessin (the son of the older Nicodemus Tessin that had designed it in 1630).
In 1697 when the Royal Palace burnt to the ground the Royal Family moved into the Palace, waiting for the Wrangel Palace to be restored after its fire in 1693..
In 1740 King Fredrik I donated the Palace to his mistress Hedvig Taube. After her death the Palace was inherited by her (and the kings) oldest son, Fredrik Hessenstein. He have given the Palace its name.
Today the Environmental Court uses the Palace.
The address is: Birger Jarls torg 2
12 - The Ryning Palace
The Ryning Palace was completed in 1644 by the Admiral Erik Ryning and was designed by in a very strict architectural style. During the period between 1756 - 1774, when the Palace was owned by Gottfried Sack there was a popular wine bar and a well known brothel there. The Wine bar was frequently visited by Carl Michael Bellman, a famous Swedish poet and composer.
In 1774 the Palace is bought by Johan Bergstrahl who expands the Palace with the bulding to the east, closet to Munkbron. This building is called Bergenstrahl House and was the home for Fredman (famous from Carl Michael Bellman epistles) in 1740-1750.
The Ryning Palace is today used by the Swedish Labour Court and in the Bergenstrahl House is the archive of the Swedish Supreme Court.
The address is: Stora Nygatan 2
13 - The House of the Nobility
In 1674 the House of the Nobility was ready to be used, the initative to built it was made by the State Chancelor Axel Oxenstierna and Klas Fleming. It was designed by Simon de la Vallée and Jean de la Vallée in a French-Dutch Renanissance style. In the beginning it was decided that the House of the Nobility shoud have wings facing borth north and sourt, similar to the Bonde Palace next door. However, after the death of Simon de la Vallées död in 1642 his son took over and finnished the construction and then the wings to the south where removed and the number of floor's was also reduced to 2 instead of the planned 3.
In 1774, when the statue outside of king Gustav Vas was to be inaugurate, all work of the House of the Nobility was finaly completed. The reminings to be done after 1674 that took until 1774 to be completed was due to the Great Nordic Was that caused Sweden huge losses and almost ruined the country. After a rebuilt in 1870 the 2 pavilions to the north where added.
The House of the Nobility is today used for the administration of the Swedish Nobility. Its owned by all the Nobel Families together and inside you can see a their coat of arms. Its also used fo conserts etc. Every 3:rd year the Swedish Nobility meeting is hold in the House. The Swedish Nobility has no longer any priviliges in Sweden since they where all removed by the Parliament in 2003, they are today just another non-profit organization but with a interesting history.
The address is: Riddarhustorget 2
14 - The Bonde Palace
The Bonde Palace was built in 1673 by Gustav Bonde to be used as a private residence, it was designed by Nicodemus Tessin.
If you where a bird and looked at the Palace from the above you would see that it resembles the letter "H". There are wings facing both north and south, the difference between them is that the wings in the north has domes on top while the wings in the south doesn't.
When the old City Hall was demolished in 1730 and replace by "Börshuset" (The Exchange House) the City Hall moved into this Palace, where is stayed until 1915 when it finaly moved to its present location at Kungsholmen in Stockholm.
A dramatic moment in the Palace history was when the Marshal of The Realm, Axel von Fersen, in June 20:th 1810 was beaten to death by an angry crowd.
Today the Palace is used by The Swedish Supreme Court.
The address is: Riddarhustorget 8
15 - Axel Oxenstierna Palace
In 1653 the State Chancelor Axel Oxenstierna started building his great Palace opposite the Royal Castle, it was designe by Jean de la Vallée in a Late Renaissance style. After his death in 1654 the work on the Palace stoped and only the souther wing of the Palace was completed, the part you can see today. The Palace was used as the first office for the Swedish National Bank (The worlds first National Bank) between 1668-1680 before it moved to Järntorget
When you look at the Palace you can see that the every second floor is lower, this is called Mezzanine. You can also motive that on top of all windows there is an apple, the Globus cruciger. This shows the great status of the State Chancelor that he could use this Royal Symbol at his own Palace.
In 1935 the Palace was classified as a historic building due to its high standard and that it today has the same apperance as when it was built in 1653
The address is: Storkyrkobrinken 2